Chicken, Kale & Barley Soup
Sophie, a fellow Winedabber, shared this amazing recipe that she paired with her delicious Italian red that she was introduced to by WineDab.
We thought it would be rude not to share!
Serves: 5-6 | Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cm piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 1 fennel, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 500g chicken breast
- 5L water
- 2 cubes of reduced salt chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 shallots
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- ¾ cup pearl barley
- 3 cups kale, chopped
- ¼ bunch of fresh parsley, to serve
- Wholegrain bread, to serve
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, leek, fennel, carrots, celery, stirring for 2- 3 minutes, until tender.
- Add chicken to the pot, stirring for 4 – 5 , minutes until the chicken is opaque all over.
- Add the water and stock cubes, thyme, bay leaves, 1 shallot, peppercorns and bring to the boil. Leave to cook for 12-15 minutes.
- Add the barley to the pot and then cover, reduce the heat and leave to simmer until the barley is tender and chicken is cooked through (12-15 minutes). Using a fork, shred the chicken in the soup.
- Add kale and cook for 5 minutes, or until wilted.
- Garnish the soup with shallots and fresh parsley and serve with a slice of wholegrain bread.
Eat. Drink. Enjoy.
Original recipe from The Biting Truth.
Got another favourite wine and food pairing? Flick us a message so we can share the love!
Don’t know what to choose when it comes to wine, or do you want to explore hidden gems that can’t be found at the supermarket? Take our taste quiz today so we can pair you with your perfect wine, delivered straight to your door and curated to your taste preferences.